top ad banner top ad banner top ad banner

Page 20, 14th October 1933

14th October 1933
Page 20
Page 20, 14th October 1933 — CORBY HALL, SUNDERLAND.
Close

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.

Tags


Share


Related articles

Et Cetera

Page 19 from 30th September 1933

Orbis Terrarum England Clerical Appointments.—the Rev....

Page 22 from 30th September 1933

Orbis Terrarum

Page 25 from 24th February 1934

Wills

Page 19 from 15th December 1934

Diocesan News.

Page 19 from 30th September 1871

CORBY HALL, SUNDERLAND.

The new retreat house, dedicated to Blessed Ralph Corby, S.J., was opened by the Bishop of Hexham and Newcastle on Sunday last. The house and outbuildings were liturgically blessed by the Bishop, who then addressed from the Lady Shrine the large crowd of men who had assembled. Taking for his text, "He was in his paradise when with the poore Catholics at Durham and in the villages," a quotation from the contemporary account of Blessed Ralph's martyrdom, his lordship dwelt on the contrast between the martyr's days and our own as regards the practice of religion. Yet the present times were not without their own grave difficulties and the words " poore Catholics" might be extended to include not only those who were poor in this world's goods, of whom there were so many in that district, but also those who were still poorer in their knowledge and practice of the Faith. To both classes Blessed Ralph would lend his powerful aid, and not least through the new retreat house, whose purpose was to bring home the realities of the Faith and make them effective in daily life. The discourse was followed by solemn Benediction given by the Bishop and the singing of "Faith of Our Fathers." Tea and the viewing of the house and grounds concluded a pleasing and hopeful ceremony.

About four hundred men were present, including many non-Catholics and numbers of the clergy of the diocese. A special word of thanks is due to the members of the Catholic Women's League, who discharged the duty of preparing and serving tea for so large a number.