top ad banner top ad banner top ad banner

Page 37, 1st February 1890

1st February 1890
Page 37
Page 38
Page 37, 1st February 1890 — NEWS FROM THE DIOCESES.
Close

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.

Tags


Share


Related articles

Orbis Terrarum

Page 22 from 19th September 1931

Chatham's Claim

Page 23 from 7th November 1925

News From Dioceses.—(continued From Page 595.)

Page 27 from 13th October 1906

Orbis Terrarum

Page 24 from 15th September 1928

NEWS FROM THE DIOCESES.

ENGLAND.

SOUTHWARK.

NEW CHURCH AT HERNE BAY. —Perhaps in no part of England was there more widespread religious desolation than in the parish of Herne, blighted by the preaching of Ridley. But Catholics will thank God that now great efforts are being made to repair all that. In last Tune was laid the foundation stone of a new church, which a generous benefactor is building in Herne Bay for the Passionist Fathers. It is now nearing its completion and will be opened next June. The depth of the impulse that such an undertaking has given to Catholicism is very great.

CLIFTON.

ST. ROSE'S CONVENT SCHOOL, STROUD.—At the recent Competition and Exhibition of Pupils' Work at the Kensington Society of Science, Letters and Art, Miss E. Hanman and Miss Nellie Mackey obtained certificates with honours for oil painting, and Miss Mary Culler a certificate with honours for map drawing. At the Christmas local examination of the same Society, Miss E. Hanman obtained honours in four subjects, namely, scripture, grammar,freehand and model drawing : Miss N. Mackey passed in nine subjects and gained honours in three, namely, scripture, history, and literature ; Miss Gertie McKay, aged 12, deserves a word of special praise for having obtained the Society's certificate for French and theory of music.

HEXHAM AND NEWCASTLE.

THE POPES AND THE EARLY CHURCH.—In the City Hall, Carlisle, on Monday, JanuaryCz7, under the auspices of the League of the Cross, a lecture was given by Mr. Gideon W. B. Marsh, B.A., on the supremacy of the Popes and their connection with the Early Church in this country. The chair was occupied by the Very Rev. Canon Waterton, supported by the Revv. E. Robert, J. Thompson, and M. J. Haggarty, in the presence of a large and approving audience. The lecture, which has been given in the larger towns of the diocese, is ably written, and the lime-light views are happily chosen. A selection of music is fittingly adapted to enliven the proceedings. At the end all stood up to sing the hymn "God Bless our Pope." A vote of thanks was heartily accorded the lecturer. Mr. Marsh intends to deliver a new lecture on the "Glories of Ireland" in the Town Hall, Spennymoor, on March 17.

NEWPORT AND MENEVIA.

Sr. DAVID'S, SWANSEA.—On Sunday, January 26, the Right Rev. Bishop Hedley held his visitation at St. David's Church, Swansea. His lordship was received at i t o'clock by the Very Rev. Canon Wilson and the Benedictine Fathers who serve the church, and celebrated Mass. He afterwards administered the Sacrament of Confirmation to about 8o candidates, including several converts. The Bishop again preached in the evening, when there was a large congregation, in spite of the terribly tempestuous weather.

PLYMOUTH.

CATHOLIC ORPHANAGE AT TORQUAY.—The Bishop of Plymouth opened on Thursday last the chapel built in the grounds of St. Vincent's Orphanage for Boys, Teignmouth-road, Torquay. The Orphanage house was formerly Torre College, and the premises and land were pun, chased last autumn, and the orphan lads transferred thence from Plymouth at the end of September. At present there are 48 boys in the Orphanage, which is under the care of the Sisters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul, under the direction ol the Bishop. The house formerly occupied by the boys at Plymouth is now used for the elder orphan girls who have left school, and are kept at work in the laundry which has recently been erected. The new chapel is a small, plain, brick building, with stained and varnished boarding inside, and three small stained-glass windows over the altar. The chapel provides accommodation for about a hundred worshippers. The cost of the house, grounds, and chapel, together with futrushing and the transit. r of the boys from Plymouth, has been upwards of £3,000, of which the chapel has cost ‘r55. It was erected, from the designs of the Bishop, by Mr. Lethbridge, of Plymouth. The opening service was attended by leading Catholics of the town and neighbourhood. The Bishop presided at the sanctuary, assisted by Canon Graham, Plymouth. High Mass was sung, the Rev. G. Poole, M.R., being the celebrant ; the Rev. J. W. Downing, deacon ; the Rev. D. O'Driscoll, sub-deacon ; and the Rev, Jos. Atkins, master of ceremonies. The other priests present included Canon Lai:are, the Revv. J. Parker, P. O'Brien, and B. Wade. The Bishop delivered a short address, founded on the passage, " Hast thou children ? Instruct them and bow down their necks during their childhood." His lordship dwelt on the absolute necessity of children being trained religiously in these days of extended elementary and technical education, so that they should be properly prepared and equipped for the battle of life, and enabled to perform their duties as men and as Christians. Referring to the Orphanage, the Bishop said the work had given him some anxiety, but he was pleased to say that the building was now free of debt, with the exception of a few necessaries which had to be provided. A collection in aid of the Orphanage was taken at the close.

SALFORD.

THE RESCUE AND PROTECTION SOCIETY.—SERMON BY THE BISHOP OF SALFORD.—In the course of a sermon preached on Sunday at the Church of the Holy Name in Manchester, in which he sought the contributions of the congregation in aid of the fund to defray the cost of the recently erected new pulpit in the Church, the Bishop of Salford said that on Sunday last collections were taken up in all the churches, and chapels of the diocese on behalf of the Protection and Rescue Society, and in the Advent circular which was read in the churches directions were given that these collections for the poor children should take precedence of all public collections that might be ordered in the diocese. Than this rescue work no charge could press more urgently upon the priests and people of the diocese. For 12 or 13 years he had been under the impression that there was no great loss among the souls of the little children. He was not aware that a system of proselytising had been established, and that very widely. He was not aware that hundreds of their Catholic children) were being deported to Canada, and brought up in ignorance of their religion and in hatred of the Catholic faith. He must look back on the first years of his life in this diocese as years marked with sorrow and reproach, which he would never cease to feel. Hundreds and thousands of their poor children had lost their faith through proselytising who might have been saved had he been more alive to the necessity. But light had arisen upon his eyes and upon the eyes of those who worked with him, and now almost the whole diocese perceived that there was a most urgent and pressing need to make provision for these poor little Catholic children, either orphans or abandoned, who would be brought up certainly among the criminal masses, or who would be brought up in hatred of their religion if they made no effort to save them. He had not the slightest doubt of this. They had lost thousands and thousands of children in this diocese from want of such provision. The last two years had proved to them with an evidence which could scarcely le clearer that such was the case. They had at the present moment in their schools 416 poor little children, who, if not there, would be educated either in crime or in heresy, and the number would go cn increasing for some time yet, and therefore he said that a most urgent case, and a most immediate want, in the public collections of the diocese was the collection in the behalf of these poor little children. Continuing, the Bishop said a new pulpit had been erected in the church. ThouLh not yet completed, still they saw that it was beautiful, and that it wi s worthy of the great church in which it had been reared. It was a cost'y pulpit, and the cost must come from the generosity of the congregation. Was it costly ? Was it necessary to have the pulpit ? Was it a go( d thing to spend money upon the Church of God ? Aye ; surely it waF. It was desirable that they should have in a great city such as Manchester some two or three churches at least which should be wortt y representatives of Catholic edifices ; churches in which tht service a God might be performed with its proper splendour ; churches in which those who were not of the Catholic faith might come and see the worship of God as it was carried on under normal circumstances, where it was not crippled by extreme poverty and misery.