top ad banner top ad banner top ad banner

Page 37, 24th July 1897

24th July 1897
Page 37
Page 38
Page 39
Page 37, 24th July 1897 — NEWS FROM THE DIOCESES.
Close

Related articles

Episcopal Engagements

Page 28 from 6th July 1935

Episcopal Engagements

Page 10 from 21st July 1928

Episcopal Engagements

Page 22 from 7th July 1928

Episcopal Engagements

Page 13 from 7th July 1934

Episcopal Engagements

Page 10 from 9th July 1927

Episcopal Engagements

Page 15 from 1st July 1933

NEWS FROM THE DIOCESES.

ENGLAND.

WESTMINSTER.

THE CARDINAL'S PUBLIC ENGAGEMENTS. — Sunday, July 25, preaches at High Mass and confirms at St. Tames's, Spanish-place, 3 p.m. ; Monday, July 26, clergy retreat begins at St. Edmund's College ; Saturday, July 31, assists at High Mass at St. Ignatius's, Farm-street, II a.m.

THE EALING MISSION.—The following notification from Cardinal Vaughan concerning the mission at Ealing was read in the churches of the district on Sunday last : With deep pain and regret we find ourselves at last compelled, in obedience to an instruction from the Apostolic See, to issue a public and official notice, to the effect that the Rev. Richard O'Halloran has been canonically suspended from the use of all ecclesiastical faculties, including that of saying Mass ; that his place of worship is not recognized as a Catholic Church or Chapel, and that no Catholic can frequent it, or receive Sacraments from him, without sin. Under ordinary circumstances it is sufficient for a Bishop to inform the faithful that he has withdrawn faculties from a priest, and the faithful themselves withdraw as a matter of course from his ministrations, as in duty bound to do. It is neither usual nor desirable that the Bishop should submit to his flock the reasons which determine the removal of a priest or the withdrawal cf his faculties. Unfortunately on the present occasion some few of the faithful have been led by misrepresentations to disregard the decision of their Bishop, and to follow other counsels. We therefore deem it considerate to make known to them, and to all whom it may concern, the following facts : 1. In the year 1893 we felt bound to point out to the Rev. Richard O'Halloran that he was not a subject of the diocese of Westminster, and that we desired to dispense with his services. He thereupon appealed against our decision to the Holy See, asserting that, on the contrary, he was a canonical subject of the diocese, and entitled to the benefit of that position. In due coarse we were summoned to respond and to state cause for our decision. The arguments on either side were duly weighed, and finally judgment was delivered by the Holy See, May 4, 1894, to the effect that the Rev. Richard O'Halloran is not a subject of the diocese of Westminster, and that the Archbishop is free o dispense with his services. (The presence of the Benedictines in Ealing has, therefore,nothing to do with the main point upon which the Holy See has decided.) 2. This decision was duly communicated to the Rev. R. O'Halloran, and he presently signed the following declaration : "I, the undersigned Richard O'Halloran, hereby declare that I do not belong to the archMocese of Westminster; and that I shall be willing to leave it whenever his Eminence the Cardinal Archbishop shall desire me to do so." (Signed) RICHARD O'FIALLoRAN, June 4, 1894 The judgment cf the Holy See having been thus frankly and, as we thought, loyally accepted, we decided in order that the Rev. R. O'Halloran might not be inconvenienced by being suddenly thrown out of work, to offer him a temporary post, so as to give him time to look out for employment elsewhere. But before undertaking work in Ealing he signed this further declaration : "I hereby declare that I undertake the mission at Ealing with the agreement that any debts which may be contracted by me without authority will be considered private debts, according to the regulations of the diocese, and that there is no claim whatsoever on the diocese for such debts. (Signed) RICHARD O'HALLORAN, July 13, 1894. "I also undertake to pay the debts due on the mission amounting to A17 i7s. 4d. Father Heditch undertaking to forego all claims on the mission. (Signed) R. O'HALLortAx." 3. It is needless to set forth the several reasons which led us last year to inform the Rev. R. O'Halloran that after a few months more we should no longer require his services, and that we had arranged, with the approval of the Apostolic See, to place the mission of Ealing under the charge of the Benedictine Fathers. He persistently refused, in offensive language, to leave the mission, regardless of the decision of the Holy See and of his own undertaking. 4To avoid the painful necessity of having recourse to an extreme measure, and as an appeal to reason and common-sense, we successively (it) obtained from his own Bishop a kind promise to offer him a mission, if he would apply for it; • (2) we told him that he might submit his case to the arbitration of any bishop in England, and that we would abide by the decision ; and (3) we offered him the benefit of the Diocesan Commission of Investigation, if he would appear before it.

These various overtures having altogether failed, nothing remained, after the fruitless entreaties and warnings which had been addressed to him, but to proceed as against a refractory cleric. On the 8th of April, 1897, formal notice was given to him that his faculties were withdrawn unless he at once obeyed and handed over the mission to the Benedictine Fathers. This producing no effect, but the Rev. R. O'Halloran continuing to exercise faculties which had been withdrawn, a formal Decree of Suspension from the use of all ecclesiastical faculties was issued on April 21, and communicated to him.

5. In the month of May the Rev. R. O'Halloran was again visited by the Vicar-General,who read to him a letter from the Cardinal Prefect of the Sacred Congregation of Propaganda, censuring his refractory conduct. He also received a letter dated May 20 from the same eminent authority, condemning his behaviour and calling upon him to desist from the sacrilege of saying Mass and attempting to administer the Sacraments while under suspension.

Unhappily, this suspended priest continues to set our authority, and that of the Apostolic See, at open defiance. It is absolutely futile to allege, after the decision given (May 4, 1894) on his own appeal to Rome, that he has been condemned without a hearing and that his conduct is not insubordinate and contumacious. We have, therefore, no choice but to issue the notice contained at the head of this letter, and to call upon those concerned not to allow themselves to be misled, but to listen to the voice of their Bishop. The words of Leo XIII., in one of his Encyclicals, will be a guarantee to them that in obeying their Bishop they will behave as good and faithtul Catholics.

The Holy Father says : " Now even as the Roman Pontiff is the Teacher and Prince of the Universal Church, so likewise are Bishops the rulers and chiefs of the churches that have been duly entrusted to them. Each has within his own jurisdiction the power of leading, supporting, or correcting, and generally of deciding in such matters as may seem to affect religion. For they share in the power which Christ Our Lord received from the Father and transmitted to His Church ; and therefore Gregory IX., our predecessor, said of Bishops, We do not hesitate to declare that the Bishops, called on to share our cares, are the representatives of God' (Efiis. 198). This power has been given to Bishops for the supreme benefit of those over whom it is exercised ; it tends by its very nature to the building up of the Body of Christ, and makes of each Bishop a bond which unites in faith and charity the Christians under his guidance at once with one another and with the Supreme Pontiff, as members with their Head. Here is a weighty expression of St. Cyprian's : The Church is the people united to the priest, and the flock that follows its Shepherd' (Ep. 69) ; and here is another still more weighty : Thou must know that the Bishop is in the Church, and the Church in the Bishop ; and if any one be not with the Bishop, the same is not in the Church.' . . . From this we see that Bishops should receive, in all matters within their office, a perfect obedience" (Ency. Cunt Multa).

6. Finally, "as a father hath compassion on his children," so do we implore the grace of God for any, whether priest or people, who have grieved us by their conduct. We beseech of them to cast off all evil suggestions that war against religious peace and salvation, so "that being delivered from the hand of our enemies, we may serve Him without fear, in holiness and justice befoie Him, all our days "(Luke i.)

Given at Archbishop's House, Westminster, this 12th day of July, 1897, to be read on July 18 in the Catholic chapel, Castle Hill, Ealing, and in the neighbouring Catholic churches.—HERBERT CARDINAL VAUGHAN, Archbishop of Westminster.

OUR LADY OF MOUNT CARMEL, KENSINGTON. — With due preparation and solemnity the feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel was celebrated last week at the Carmelite Church, Kensington. A Novena, during which Father Alphonsus preached every afternoon, ushered in the festival. On Friday morning solemn High Mass was sung by the Very Rev. Father Dominic Ostendi,"assisted by Father Alphonsus as deacon, and Father Ambrose as sub-deacon. The music was by the M. Noyer, Mr. Leipold conducting. The Right Rev. Mgr. John Vaughan preached.

He took for his text the words from the Canticle of Canticles "As the lily among thorns so is my beloved among the daughters." He said that when we contemplated some mighty river, such as the Mississippi or Missouri, fructifying the thousands of miles through which it passed, we might recognize the grandeur, magnificence and force of the great stream and yet be unable to lay our finger on the streamlets and rivulets from which it took its source. So in a similar way we might contemplate the great Carmelite Order, flowing like some beneficent stream through the garden of the Church and carrying with it graces and blessings wherever it went, and yet we might find some difficulty in pointing out precisely its first birth and beginning. We recogrized how beneficial it had been to the world, we saw how it had taught sanctity, how it had instructed even the holiest to become more holy—as in the case of St Mary Magdalen of Piazzi, St. John of the Cross St. Teresa, of Jesus and many more—yet we might find it difficult to specify any particular period at which this great Order first arose in the Church. Tradition assigned a very ancient date for its birth—eight or nine centuries before the Christian dispensation when in the far-off Carmel the first seeds were planted by the Prophet Elias and a band of men withdrew themselves from the world and led a life unlike the lives of other men. They were known as the Sons of the Prophet, and they drew others round them, and generation succeeded generation so that even when Christ came upon earth they were still there occupying the same position, and doing good amongst their fellow-men. And if tradition was to be relied on, not merely St John Baptist and our Blessed Lady, but even our Divine Lord Himself honoured these early disciples with a visit. It would not be advantageous on this occasion to follow out the history of the Order more completely, but they might well ask themselves in what did its chief glory consist. In his opinion it lay in the fact that the Carmelite Order had from the commencement shown a greater love and reverence for our Blessed Lady than perhaps any other religious body. We knew that there many other Orders which had determined to fight the good fight under her baaner. We had here in London some such orders, as for example the Marist Fathers, who were doing a splendid work in the East End, and the Servants of Mary or Servites, who were doing an equally splendid work in the west of London ; but the Carmelite Order was older than any of these, and ever since it first came into existence it had not merely shown a great reverence and love for our Blessed Lady but it had helped to spread this love, and induce the faithful to realize the grandeur and dignity of the Mother of God. And if the Carmelite Order had always shown itself devoted to the Blessed Virgin, she on the other hand had not been slow to recognize the love of her children. There were many instances, but he would point only to one—the institution of the confraternity of the Scapular. In the year 1245 when the Carmelite Order was passing through bitter persecutions and opposition, one of the members of that Order, our own countryman St. Simon Stock, was so devoted to our Blessed Lady that he never ceased to implore her help in the difficulties that surrounded them. And he was soon rewarded, for our Blessed Lady appeared to him in person, and we all knew how she instructed him to found a confraternity to be called the Confraternity of the Scapular, in which men and women devoted to her service were to put on that habit as an external proof of their love of her. We know also how many indulgences and benefits were conferred by the wearing of the scapular, and if the Order had done nothing else but found the Confraternity it would have done enough to entitle it to our love and admiration. But at the present moment, seeing that we were living in a Protestant land, it seemed to him profitable that we should ask why this devotion, this extraordinary love of the Blessed Virgin, was

recognized and approved of by the Church of God. We knew that outside the Church objections were made and it was said that if all this devotion were right and proper, we should hear more of her in the sacred pages. What was our answer to that ? Our answer was, that there was a great deal about our Lady—nay more, we might say without the slightest exaggeration that of all God's creatures there was not one that had so much said about her in those sacred pages. He did not refer to the number of words or the number of passages, he referred rather to the words themselves. If we considered what those words were then indeed we must conclude that more was said of her than anyone else. We found her mentioned in the opening pages of Scrip ture in the Bock of Genesis, we found her mentioned in the very last pages of Scripture in the Apocalypse, and we found her mentioned in the centre of Scripture in the prophecy of Isaias. What could indicate more fully the greatness, the glory and the splendour of our Blessed Lady ? It was quite enough to tell us that Mary was related to God as a mother is related to her son, and instantly we saw her raised above all other creatures—she was placed on a pinnacle without a rival, without a peer. Some people seemed to think that our love of Mary would take away from our love of God. How little they knew on what our love of Mary rested. We loved her only because we loved Him, and we could not love her as much as we did unless we loved Him infinitely more. When Protestants accused us of exaggeration and seemed to fear that we were putting Mary in the place of Jesus, it only showed how little they knew what Divinity was. There might be some such danger if we regarded Almighty God as so many outside regarded Him, as little more than man, but let him tell them outside the Church that if God really were all that we Catholics said He was, and more than we dared say, or even think, then indeed it became a very grand and glorious thing to be His Mother. And on that day, when they were contemplating the dignity, beauty, and power of the Virgin Queen and Mother, their hearts should be filled with gratitude to the Carmelite Order for all they had done to spread the devotion to her, and they might well exclaim "Oh glorious and blessed Order, continue to make the love of Mary spread in the hearts of the faithful." And now, what could we ourselves do in order to cultivate that devotion ? Had we seriously weighed all the claims that she had upon us ? Perhaps sufficient had been said to induce us to try and kindle in our hearts a renewed love and devotion to the Virgin Queen and we should remember that the more we loved and honoured her the greater would be her interest in us and the greater would be her protection— and who was there who was so powerful and so mighty ? At all times of danger, distress, and temptation, let us have recourse to her, and we should then realize her strength, we should profit by her power, we should know that she was lifting up her pure hands for us to her Eternal Son. In the afternoon Solemn Vespers and Benediction, with procession of the statue of our Lady of Mount Carmel followed. A very large congregation attended both services, as was also the case on the following Sunday, when the preacher was Father Alphonsus. The altar and sanctuary were decorated with flowers. On Tuesday morning High Mass was celebrated in the same church in honour of the Prophet Elias.

PUBLIC PROCESSION IN CLERKENWELL.—On Sunday the streets of the Italian quarter round Saffron-hill, Clerkenwell, were gaily decorated, and in the afternoon the thoroughfares were packed with spectators, the occasion being the Feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel. At half-past three a long procession started from St. Peter's Church, Hatton-garden. First came six League of the Cross Guards, followed by the thurifer, cross-bearer, acolytes, the band of the Tower Hill branch of the League of the Cross, a banner of Our Lady, twelve acolytes of Our Lady in blue, and twelve of the English Martyrs in scarlet, men Ransomers with banners, and then some hundreds of boys and girls attending Catholic schools, the latter being dressed in white with white veils and wreaths of flowers round their heads. Following these were the members of several religious confraternities bearing statues, and then altar boys and the clergy. The route taken was Clerkenwell-road, Eyre-street-bill, Great Bath-street, Farringdon-road, Cross-street, Hatton Gaylen, and back to the church. As the procession crossed and re-crossed Clerkenwell-road all traffic had to be suspended. On re-entering the church, Father Fletcher, Master of the Guild of Our Lady of Ransom, gave a short address, which was followed by the Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament. The priests who took a prominent part in the celebration were Fathers Fletcher, Zepf, and Laverty, while Mr. Lister Drummond acted as chief marshal. The demeanour of the dense crowds that lined the route was most respectful, and often edifying.

In the evening the decorated streets were illuminated, and presented a still more extraordinary spectacle. People kept arriving from all sides by all sorts of conveyances, and the whole neighbourhood wore he appearance of a fair.

Scsioors ASSOCIATION.—A meeting was held at the Deanery of the Holy Trinity, Brook Green, on the r6th instant, of the elected members of the Schools Association. There were present the following Managers : Father Ryan, of Brentford schools ; Father Tubbs, of Chiswick schools ; the Rev. A. White and the Rev. Canon Graham, of Hammersmith schools ; the Rev. L. Goodrich, of Hampton Wick schools ; Mr. T. P. McCleland, Barrister-at-Law, of Hounslow schools ; Dr. M. H. Taylor, J P., and the Rev. T. F. Gorman, of Isleworth schools ; Father Dewar, of Staines schools ; Father F. Davis, of Sunbury schools ; and Father English, of Twickenham schools. The object of the meeting was to select two delegates for the Council which is to meet periodically at Archbishop's House. On the motion of Canon Graham, the Rev. A. White and Dr. Taylor, J.P., of Richmond, were unanimously elected. These representatives will visit all the above-named schools personally and report to the Council at the ext meeting.

ORDINATION AT MILL HILL—On Sunday last, the r8th of July, his Eminence the Cardinal Archbishop of Westminster held an ordination at St. Joseph's Foreign Missionary College, Mill Hill, London. The following were ordained : Priesthood.—The Rev. A. Klerk, the Rev. C. Looman, the Rev. T. O'Brien, the Rev. W. van 't Westeinde, snd the Rev. A. Willems Diaconate.—The Rev. L. Oosterlaan : Sub diaconate.—The Rev. A. Bowen, the Rev. J. Boyland, the Rev. C. Keet, the Rev. P. Keller, the Rev. L. van der Knapp, the Rev. L. Litolff, the Rev. W. van Mens, the Rev. J. Meyer, the Rev. J. Proctor, the Rev. E. Schoonhof, and the Rev. C. Smiers : Tonsure.— M essrs. H. Jansen and P. Hoffman. A preparatory Retreat bad taken place previous to the ordinations, the spiritual exercises being conducted by the Right Rev. Mgr. Weld.

On Monday morning a departure ceremony took place, when the Rev. E. S. Phillips and the Rev. E. Bruning took leave of their cm:it-Pres previous to their setting out for the missions of St. Joseph's Society in the archdiocese of Madras. The celebrant of the High Mass was the Rev. Father Phillips ; the deacon, the Rev. Father Bruning ; the sub-deacon, the Rev. Father Klerk ; the master of ceremonies, the Rev. Father O'Brien ; the thurifer, the Rev. Father Westeinde ; the acolytes, the Revv. Fathers Willems and Oosterlaan ; and cantor, the Rev. Father Looman.

SOUTHWARK.

THE BISHOP'S ARRANGEMENTS.—Sunday, July 25, gives Benediction in the afternoon at the Convent of Redemptoristines, Clapham ; Monday, July 26, distribution of prizes at Notre Dame, Clapham ; Tuesday, July 27, distribution of prizes at Convent of Notre Dame, St. George's ; Wednesday, July 28, distribution of prizes at Convent of Notre Dame, Brixton ; Saturday, July 31, sings High Mass at Farmstreet, at II. Letters should be addressed to St. George's Cathedral, Southwark.

MINSTER IN THANET.—An interesting ceremony took place at the early hour of 8.30 a.m. on July 13 in the chapel of S. Mildred's Benedictine Monastery in this village, when, with the approval of the Bishop of the diocese, who had intended himself to perform the function but was prevented by previous engagements, the Right Rev. Mgr. Daniewski, in his name, gave the holy Habit of St. Benedict to four choir novices. The sermon was preached by the Rev. George Cologan, of Willesden, who dwelt upon the Religious in her doable character of "sacrificer" and of "victim," and impressed the non-Catholics present with the all importance of free-will for the value of the Sacrifice. The music was sung in the old Gregorian tones by the monks of St. Augustine's, Ramsgate. There were present, besides the Most Rev. Mgr. Daniewski, celebrant, the Rev. F. G. Cologan, the Rev. F. Herbert de Burgh, of Newhall, Burton-on-Trent ; the Rev. F. Aidan MacDonald, 0.S.B., the Rev. F. Ephrem, 0.S.B., the Rev. F. Oswald, 0.S.B., the Rev. F. Benignus 0.S.B., the Rev. Father John Baptist, 0.S.B., Mr. and Mrs. Baillie, the Hon. Captain Claud Paget, R.N., Mrs. Alderson, &c. Many other friends of the community regretting their inability to be present at so early an hour. Breakfast was afterwards served in a marquee in the beautiful convent garden. One great interest of the day's events is in the fact that the community is a revival of the Benedictine Order in Minster, a place of great historic interest, not only as being close to the landing place of St. Augustine, but also as being the spot where St. Mildred lived and prayed with her community of "seventy virgins" A.D. 665, and where, in 1317, the Abbess Seledritha of revered memory with her 200 nuns was burned to death in their monastery chapel by the persecuting Danes.

BIRMINGHAM.

ST. FRANCIS XAVIER, OLDBURY.—This church has lately undergone a complete renovation under the care of the Rev. J. Thompson, the priest of the mission. A harmonious scheme of decoration has been carried out, after the designs of Mr. J. A. Pippet, of Messrs. Hardman, Birmingham. The walls and ceiling have been frescoed : the painting in the sanctuary consisting of a high dado of terra-cotta and dark red with goldfieuss tie lys, while the upper part of the wall is powdered with lilies interwoven with the motto of St. Francis Xavier, Sails est, Domine, satis est. A Rood beam has been erected with a Crucifix and figures of Our Lady and St. John (the gift of a late parishioner), while on either side of the entrance to the sanctuary are placed, in canopied niches, images of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and of the Blessed Virgin with the Divine Child. These figures are all carved in wood and richly decorated, and were made to order by Ferdinand Demety, of St. Ulrich, Groden, Tyrol. The church has also been adorned with a new set of Stations of the Cross, which were canonically erected by the Rev. F. Feun, of St. Catharine's, Birmingham. The reopening services took place on Sunday last, when High Mass was celebrated by the Rev. G. B. Tatum, of St. Saviour's, Lewisham, assisted by the Rev. G. Mesher, of Birmingham, as deacon, and the Rev. B. O'Dowd, of Oscott, as sub-deacon. The sermon was preached by the Rev. G. Mesher, who took for his text the description of the dedication of the temple of Solomon, as given in the Book of Paralipomenon. The music of the Mass was rendered with great taste by the choir, under the leadership of the Rev. J. Thompson. The offertory piece was Gounod's Ave Verum. The Rev. G. Mesher preached again in the evening, the service ending with Solemn Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament.

at the Pro-Cathedral, Clifton, by the Bishop of the diocese, sang his first Mass at Prim Park College, his old Alma Mater. The Rev. Aidan Palmer, O.S.B. (brother), was assistant priest, the Rev. H. Bilsborrow, deacon, the Rev. Bernard Palmer, sub-deacon, and the Rev. Herbert Vaughan, master of ceremonies. The College choir rendered with pleasing effect Gounod's Mass in C, under the able conductorship of Mr. V. Russell, B.A., while M. Nourry presided at the organ.

After High Mass, the Te Deum was solemnly sung, and was followed by the ceremony of the kissing of the hands of the young priest by the congregation. The following were among the many visitors who accepted the president's kind invitation to be present on this joyful occasion, though many old schoolfellows wrote letters of apology for their inability to attend : The Revv. Aidan Palmer, 0.S.B., of Fort Augustus, D. G. Hubert, Bernard Palmer, Henry Bilsborrow, Herbert Vaughan, and Walter Poulton, of Oscott ; Mr. F. Dalby, of Banbury, Mr. V. W. Russell, Mr. C. Barrington, of Malvern, Mr. Nourry, and Mr. Mapson. The altar was tastefully decorated for the occasion.

HEXHAM AND NEWCASTLE.

APPOINTMENT OF A NEW CANON. —The Rev. Henry Gillow of St. Benet's, Monkwearmouth, has been appointed Canon to fill the vacancy caused in the Chapter by the death of the Very Rev. Canon Browne, of Houghton-le-Spring, and brother of the Venerable Provost of Leeds. Canon Gillow was ordained at Ushaw in 1868, and remained at the College as Prefect of the Junior House and Professor of Elocution until a few years ago, when he went on the mission at Sacriston, a few miles distant from the College, and whence he afterwards removed to Monkwearmouth. Canon Gillow's many friends and old pupils will will hear of his advancement with much gratification.