top ad banner top ad banner top ad banner

Page 22, 3rd September 1927

3rd September 1927
Page 22
Page 23
Page 22, 3rd September 1927 — OBITUARY

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.



Related articles

The Earl Of Gainsborough.

Page 22 from 24th September 1927

Death Of The Earl Of Gainsborough.

Page 23 from 20th August 1881

Social And Personal

Page 36 from 24th November 1917

Diocesan News.

Page 25 from 10th July 1869



At Exton Hall, his family seat in Rutlandshire, the Earl of Gainsborough passed away last Saturday. His death, which we record with much regret, is the culmination of a tragedy of ill-health; nor is tragedy too strong a word, for when his lordship succeeded to the Earldom, little more than a year ago, there was every hope and prospect that another vigorous Catholic would make a useful addition to our strength in the House of Lords. The third Earl, his father, had long been an invalid in his latter years; but the son and heir, as Viscount Campden, had already identified himself actively with the Church's interests, in connection with the Westminster Catholic Federation and other bodies. He gave valuable help to the Catholic Workers' College at Oxford, collecting a large sum of money for that institution which made possible the purchase of the college premises. He took part in Catholic conferences, threw himself ardently into a number of good works, and on becoming Earl of Gainsborough seemed as one likely to make his voice heard and his influence felt in the ranks of the Catholic peerage. The hope and expectation, alas ! were doomed to a disappointment which is now resolved only by his death. Many months ago his lordship was seized with illness, which became more serious as time went on, and despite every care he gradually weakened. He is succeeded in the title by his son, Anthony Gerard Noel, a little boy not yet four years old.

The late Earl, Arthur Edward Joseph Noel, was born in 1884. Educated at Ladycross, Downside, and Exeter College, Oxford, he was for several years-1908-14—in the Diplomatic Service. He was a Major in the Gloucestershire Territorial Regiment, and in 1915 went to France with his battalion during the Great War : for his services he was mentioned in dispatches, and in 1919 was awarded the O.B.E. At the Papal Court he had been since 1920 a Privy Chamberlain of Sword and Cape. Lord Gainsborough married, in 1915, Alice, eldest daughter of Edward Eyre, K.C.S.G., and Mrs. Eyre, of Belgrave Place, S.W., thus allying himself with anOther family notable in Catholic zeal. To Lady Gainsborough, as also to the Dowager Countess, deep sympathy is everywhere extended in the sorrow of their bereavement.

The funeral took place at Exton on Tuesday, his lordship the Bishop of Nottingham officiating, assisted by Mgr. Payne, V.G., Dom Stephen Rawlinson, 0.S.B., Dom Gregory Ould, O.S.B. (Chaplain to the family), and Father L. T. Middleton (Oakham). Yesterday (Friday) a solemn requiem was celebrated in London at the Brompton Oratory.—R.I.P.


News reached London on Monday that the Right Hon. Sir Charles Patrick Coghlan, K.C.M.G., Premier of Southern Rhodesia, died on Sunday night, aged sixtyfour. In the morning he was in his usual health and attended Mass; but about noon he was taken ill and soon afterwards became unconscious, and he passed away peacefully, in the presence of his wife and daughter, from cerebral hxmorrhage.

The late Premier was born and reared in the country where he was destined to play an important part in constitutional development and political administration. King Williamstown was his native city, and St. Aidan's College, Grahamstown, gave him his early education; thence he went, as a bursary scholar, to the South African College at Cape Town. He afterwards chose the Law as a profession and became a solicitor. In March, 1908, after he had become prominent in the agitation against the rule of the Chartered Company in Rhodesia, he was elected to the Legislative Council, and a few months later was chosen as representative at the National Convention. Here, and subsequently at various stages of the progress towards the constitution which came into effect in 1923, he displayed tactful qualities and a-marked capacity for leadership; and on the formal annexation of Southern Rhodesia as a British Colony he became its first Premier and so remained until his death. The honour of knighthood had come to him in 1910, and in 1925 he was made K.C.M.G. Popular with all classes, a ready speaker and a devoted Rhodesian patriot, Sir Charles Coghlan will be greatly missed in the land which he served so well. A solemn requiem was celebrated for him at noon yesterday in Westminster Cathedral.—R.I.P.


Nearly twenty-five years of zealous work at St. Swithun's' Southsea, with labour previously at Woolhampton, Ryde, Bracknell, and other places in the Portsmouth diocese, is the record left by the Very Rev. Canon Isidor Kuner by which he will long be held in affectionate memory. Canon Kuner died, we regret to state, on Thursday morning last week, in his sixtieth year, after a long and painful illness. Despite much suffering he had insisted on performing his duties as long as it was possible to do so, and it was only for about three weeks before his death that he was 6onfined to bed.

Canon Kuner was a native of Canterbury. He was ordained in 1895 and taught for some time at the school at Woolhampton before beginning his labours on the mission. His appointment to Southsea in 1903 was the beginning of a career of valuable service in that district which not only endeared him to his own parishioners and other Catholics in the Portsmouth area, but also made him a well-known and deeply respected figure in local circles generally. He took an active interest in social welfare, serving on a number of hospital and other committees, including that of the Portsmouth Welfare Association. As a parish priest he gave his time and energy without stint to the people of St. Swithun's, but he also found opportunity to attend Catholic gatherings in many places in the diocese and beyond it, and he made a great number of friends in various parts of the country. He was appointed a member of the Portsmouth Cathedral Chapter in 1916.

A Pontifical requiem was celebrated at St. Swithun's on Monday by the Bishop of Portsmouth, in the presence of a congregation which included upwards of fifty priests of the diocese and members of a number of religious communities. Among the lay representatives were Alderman Groves, J.P.; Captain E. Winter, Governor of Kingston Prison; Colonel Jennings, R.A.M.C.; and Mr. , R. J. Jenkins, City Engineer. After the Mass the interment took place in the Highland Road Cemetery, Southsea.—R.I.P.


We regret to state that the Rev. Philip Hemans, parish priest at Effingham, Surrey, died suddenly on Tuesday last. Father Hemans, who before his appointment to Effingham, had worked at St. Patrick's, North Lambeth, and other South London parishes, was a convert from Anglican Orders, and was ordained a priest in middle life..—R.I.P.