top ad banner top ad banner top ad banner

Page 24, 4th February 1893

4th February 1893
Page 24
Page 25
Page 24, 4th February 1893 — OBITUARY.
Close

Report an error

Noticed an error on this page?
If you've noticed an error in this article please click here to report it.

Tags


Share


Related articles

Plymouth

Page 20 from 22nd March 1913

Wills

Page 21 from 24th March 1928

News From The Dioceses.

Page 36 from 8th April 1893

Plymouth.

Page 25 from 18th July 1896

OBITUARY.

The Catholics of Devon have lost the oldest priest of their communion and the Provost of their Cathdral, by the death on Saturday last of the RIGHT REV. MGR. BRINDLE, Provost of Plymouth Cathedral, and Domestic Prelate to the. Pope. The venerable prelate was born at Brindle, near Preston, on 'January 13, 1813, and was educated at Ampleforth and Prior Park, where he was ordained priest in 1840. He was in the same year appointed chaplain to Sir Edward Doughty, of Upton House, near Poole, and thus became well acquainted with all the persons who figured in the celebrated Tichborne case. Ten years afterwards he became chaplain to Mr. Edward Weld, who then resided at Tawstock Court, near Barnstaple, the seat of his father-in-law, Sir Bourchier Wrey. With the aid of these two gentlemen, and by his own great personal sacrifices, he succeeded in completing the Catholic church at Barnstaple, and for some years he lived in the sacristy of his church. Gradually he built a presbytery, and schools for 140 children. His self-sacrificing zeal, his amiable disposition, his unaffected piety, and his blameless life, uniting in a remarkable degree the wisdom of age with the innocence of childhood, endeared him to all with whom he came in contact. He was the last surviving member of the original Chapter of Plymouth, and succeeded as Provost the late Dr. Oliver in 1857. In 1872, Pope Pius IX. conferred upon him the dignity of Domestic Prelate. In 1874, he accomplished the opening of a chapel at Ilfracombe, where a more permanent church was opened to days before his death. By his exertions the Catholics in Bideford were, in 1882, provided with the ministrations of a priest, who took up his abode there in x888. In that year the venerable Provost found himself unable to continue his labours without assistance, and in 1890, a stroke of paralysis obliged him to resign the mission he had founded and served for more than 40 years, and he passed the last two years and ahalf at the Hospice of St. Francis, Southampton, where he edified all around him by the patience and resignation with which he bore so cheerfully the gradual failing of his physical and mental powers. His last public act was in July, 1891, when he came to take part in the election of the Coadjutor Bishop of Plymouth. His once stately figure was bent with age, but few who were present will forget the appearance once more of that noble and venerated head, which all felt would never again be seen in the Provost's stall. " The hoary head is a crown of glory, when it is found in the ways of justice." He died peacefully after a week's illness, a fortnight after keeping his 8oth birthday. R. I. P.

We regret to record the death, which took place on the 24th inst., of MR. ALFONSO CLIFFORD. He caught cold shortly after arriving in Rome, but it did not seem a serious matter then, and so he was able on the day of the Epiphany to assist at the Pope's private Mass, and received the Communion from his Holi ness's own hands. He also took part with the English deputation who went to thank the Holy Father for having raised the Archbishop of Westminster to the rank of Cardinal. The cold caught, however, proved fatal, and he died comforted with the last Sacraments of the Church and the Papal Blessing. The funeral took place in the Church of St. Andrea delle Fratte, and was attended by almost all the English Catholics in Rome. The remains were afterwards interred in the Campo Santo of San Lorenzo. Alfonso Clifford, brother to Sir Charles Clifford, was born at Burton Constable, in Yorkshire, on the 23rd of July, 1830. He was nephew to Cardinal Weld, who at that time was living in Rome at the Palazzo Odescalchi, and at his request Cardinal Odescalchi stood godfather by proxy to the newly-born child. He was educated at Stonyhurst College, between the years 1839-1847, and then was for some time at the Jesuit College of Brugelette, near Mons, in Belgium, together with his Eminence Cardinal Vaughan. In the year 185o, he joined his eldest brother, now Sir Charles Clifford, in New Zealand, and remained there till 1856, when he returned to England, and has since that time lived as a private gentleman. He lived with his sisters for many years at Boulogne, and with them greatly helped in building the beautiful Church of St. Francis of Sales, of which Mgr. Leuillieux, the present Archbishop of Chambery, who was greatly attached to Mr. Clifford, was then Rector. Between the years 1876 and 1877 he visited the Holy Land in company with his sister, Constantia, and returned in time to join the English Pilgrimage which came to Rome in May of that year to do homage to Pope Pius IX., on occasion of his Jubilee. At that same time he received from his Holiness the honour of being appointed Ca neriere Segreto, a distinction which, after the death of Pius IX., was again conferred upon him by his present Holiness. He came to Rome at the time of the General Council of the Vatican, and resided there with Bishop Clifford of Clifton, and Bishop Amherst, of Northampton. Mr. Clifford took no part in politics, but he took an active part in all works of charity wherever he resided, and his death will be deeply regretted not only by his relatives and friends, but by the poor and the many charitable societies with which he co-operated. R.I.P.

We have also to report another death, that of MGR. GEORGE DILLON, which took place on the 29th inst., comforted by the Rites of the Church, and assisted to the last by the Passionist Fathers, for whom he had always great friendship. He died in the Palazzo di Rossi, in the Piazza Ara Coeli, where he had lived for many years. He was 56 years of age, and was educated at All Hallows College, Dublin. In the year 186i he left for Sydney (Australia) for the missions there, and for some time worked under the Venerable Archbishop Holding, and subsequently under Archbishop Roger Bede Vaughan, brother of the present Cardinal. During his time in Australia he was sent on an important mission to Balmain (Australia). Together with Archbishop Vaughan he was Editor of The Catholic Press, an Australian paper, but, in the year 1882, he had to come to Italy because of his ill-health. Since then, however, he was not idle, but continued to use his pen, producing many works, amongst which is celebrated his book on the miraculous picture " Of Good Council," which is venerated at Genazano. The Pope, in recognition of his services, named him Monsignore in the year 1884, with the title of Cameriere Segreto. R.I.P.

After a long illness (says the Buenos Ayres Standard) MR. JOHN JACKSON, died at his residence in Montevideo on Saturday, December 17, 1892, being close on 6o years of age. His father was one of the early English settlers and began life as a hatter, after which he was an auctioneer and ultimately a merchant : he married a native lady of the Errasquin Family, and caused his children to be educated at Stonyhurst and other English schools, Espousing the Blanco party old Mr. Jackson entered warmly into politics, and during the civil war always kept a sum of Z2o,000 on board one of the English war-vessels as a provision for his family. Being, moreover, very economical and shrewd in business matters he acquired by degrees a number of estancias in Uruguay at prices ranging from about 800 dollars per "suerte " or 8 pence English per acre, and at his death left a large fortune to his children, 7 in number. John Jack son and his brothers, Peter and Albert, were educated at Stonyhurst, after which John was placed as a clerk in the house of Rathbone Brothers at Liverpool, one of his fellow-clerks being Mr. Lidderdale, late Chairman of the Bank of England. On his return to Montevideo he started a " barraca " for receiving hides and wool, and worked as hard as any of his employes, early and late, having a great instinct for business. He inherited a large fortune from his father, and married Miss Buxareo. The worry and annoyance which he suffered from the party of General Flores in 1864-65, the police often breaking into his house at midnight under the pretext of searching for arms, broke down his health and he proceeded to Europe to make a tour of Spain. It happened, however, that he landed at Barcelona and a revolution occurred in that city, which so disgusted him that he left Spain at once. His brother, Peter, who had remained in England after leaving Stonyhurst and devoted himself to the turf, suddenly dropped dead on the race-course at the Derby. Soon afterwards the third brother, Albert, died on the Playa Ramirez, near Montevideo, having fallen in a fit in 12 inches of water. Year after year the wealth and estates of Mr. Jackson and his sisters increased. The estancias of Cerro Colorado and Mansavillagra, Timote are well known, besides which the Jacksons have others in Rio Negro, Tacuary, and elsewhere. Whole blocks of houses in the city of Montevideo likewise belonged to Mr. Jackson, and it is estimated that his fortune must exceed Z600,000 sterling or Z4o,000 a year. He was rather cautious than enterprising ; nevertheless he was mainly instrumental (with the late Eugene O'Neill) in founding the Commercial Bank at Montevideo. In conjunction with Mr. Cibils he built a dock at the Cerro for repairing vessels. He was one of the founders of the Sociedad Pastoril del Tacuary, and of the Cuilapirti Gold Mining Co. He kept aloof from politics, and from the Wild Cat speculations that caused such disaster to Montevideo in recent years. His defects were as nothing compared to the sound points of his character. He was true as steel in every relation of life, the soul of honour and sincerity, and munificent in his deeds of charity. Although he disliked speaking English (and this was one of his oddities) no British subject in Montevideo ever appealed to him in vain for assistance. He sent home distressed families to England, paid for the funerals of poor people, and was, moreover, one of the principal men in the Society of St. Vincent de Paul. When the Yellow Fever broke out in 1857, he quitted his wife and home, to nurse the sick in the Caridad Hospital, and never returned to his house till the plague had ceased ; his example had a splendid effect on the citizens. In 1864, he hastened, with some others, to rescue 5,000 citizens expelled during the siege of the Paysandii, who had taken refuge on an island in the Uruguay, bringing them tents and food. He built at his own expense, and his sisters supported wholly, an orphanage for 120 girls near Paso Molino, having brought out French Sisters of Charity from Bordeaux to manage it ; he built a beautiful church, florid Gothic style, alongside the orphanage. He and his sisters also bore a share in the building of the Franciscan nunnery and church near the Cordon. In 1886, he invited from Hatton Garden, London, the Fathers of the Mission, to found a Catholic English community at Montevideo, and on their arrival he presented them with a house and chapel, completely furnished. Montevideo loses in him not only a man of prodigious wealth but of inflexible honesty. Nothing on earth would be able to induce Mr. Jackson to say or do what he considered unworthy : in this respect he was afirieux chevalier, and we echo the sentiments of our readers in tendering to his bereaved widow the expression of our profound sympathy and regret. The Catholic religion loses in him a conscientious son and generous benefactor. Mr. John Jackson died at six o'clock on Monday morning, December 17, 1892 (says the same paper in comment), aged 59 years, after a lengthened and painful illness, and fortified by the Rites of the Church. His death plunges the whole city in mourning, and deprives the charitable institutions of their most generous friend. The Telegrafo says that he was called the Father of the Poor, his benefactions to the various charities being such that he regularly expended in this way 6,0oo dollars a month—say £15,000 sterling per annum. He never occupied any public post but that of Senator, but as a banker, merchant, and landed proprietor he stood in the front rank, and was regarded as the type of a gentleman. He was the first to import prize cattle for improving the breeds, and was one of the founders of the Central Uruguay Railway, the Commercial Bank, and other enterprises. Besides his munificence to the poor, he was remarkable for his large donations to churches and religious communities, and still his fortune went on increasing. During the reckless fraud and folly of late years he kept away from the vortex of iniquity, and devoted the last six years of his life to the care of the poor, as President of the Beneficent Society. Notwithstanding his public spirit in making the dock at the Cerro, along with his friend Cibils, the Legislature was so meanly jealous of him that his project for making a port for Montevideo at his own cost, which was drawn up in 188o, has lain twelve years on the table of the House because he would not stoop to offer brokerage and commissions. The executors to his will are Mr. Ingouville, who has been 30 years in his employment as manager of the Commercial Bank, and Dr. Hipolito Gallinal. His

funeral was the most imposing ever seen in Montevideo. Bishop Soler was chief mourner, followed by the clergy, the Municipal

Corporation, and all the children of the various orphanages. All the newspapers have obituaries of him, although he never concealed the contempt he felt for the men who have reduced Montevideo to its present wretched condition. His life has been without a spot or stain. R. I. P.